Monday, December 10, 2007

The joy and dangers of eating

Food, glorious food. If there is one thing about me that most of my friends would agree about, it would be raging appetite. I love to eat and am pretty much willing to experiment eating most foods that go beyond the scope of what you would call normal. Not that I actively search for stuff like that but I've always wondered what stuff would taste like. Chalk it up to putting too much stuff into my mouth while I was a kid (at least this time those stuff are actually edible). So far I've eaten (among other things) crocodile, bat, monkey, snake, scorpion, grasshoppers and unknowingly, dog.

Now, before you dog lovers out there start flaming me for doing such horrible stuff let me explain myself. I said I unknowingly ate dog. This happened when I was about 11 and had gone over to a friends place to basically hog his Super NES. As it was getting late, I told my mum I'd be staying for dinner. It was the holidays and after a long day of video gaming and playing basketball I was famished. That being said I tucked into this nice looking stew that my friends mum took out and was delighted cause it tasted like pork and kinda look like pork. So there I was eating away, happily digging into that delicious porky like meat when my friend's uncle came down. By then my face had this satisfied look of someone enjoying his meal, when suddenly I heard my friend's uncle say "Mmmmmm dog meat. My favourite". At first I thought he was joking until he started talking about which dog from the farm they cooked.

You could just imagine the look on my face then. My friend, (the bastard that he was) was giggling away and told me that the meat was actually dog and I had tucked in before they could say anything. Now the weird thing was that I didn't immediately go bonkers and swore (I was 11 and at a friends place, swearing was an invitation to a good whacking from my mom back then, no matter the reason). Instead I straightened that look of horror on my face, pushed the dog meat by to the side of my plate and ate veges for the rest of the dinner. Of course being calm on the outside didn't mean I was calm on the inside. You see the big problem was I had dogs of my own. 3 of them in fact and one of them was a mean little bugger called Duke.

You know that belief that when you eat dog, another dog would know. Well believe me its true. I never told my parents about the dog eating incident when I came back (and I never did until only a couple of years ago) so they were non the wiser. It was a different story with my dogs though. The two more docile ones just shied away from me when I went to feed them, which wasn't so bad. Duke on the other hand almost bit my fingers off when I tried to feed him. And for the next two weeks, I couldn't go anywhere near the dogs without them either avoiding me or Duke trying to bite me. Ever since then, I've made sure to ask what meat is being served before tucking in. I've gone on to eat worst stuff like insects, bats and such but never again dog.

So let this be a lesson, if it taste like pork, it might be pork, but it also might not. So always ASK what is it you're eating before tucking in.

No comments: